5:43:00 PM redcross@hyss 0 Comments

Coastal Cleanup 2010 Write-Up




I had fun taking part in the coastal cleanup activity at Pulau Ubin on Saturday. At first, we had an almost 1 hour bus trip from Jurong to Changi. We alight outside the Changi Ferry Terminal and take a boat to pulau ubin. Once we reached Pulau Ubin, Commonwealth Red Cross unit had already started to pick up the litter. We were told to pick up the litter along the coastline of the island with commonwealth secondary school. We had to pick up litter, organize them in groups (etc., plastic, glass) and record what we collected. Later, we were spilt into groups within our own unit first, and we are spilt into groups again, but with the Commonwealth Red Cross cadets. I was quite surprised as I saw 4 of my primary school mates, among the commonwealth Red Cross unit. But, while we were picking up litter, yiyu was feeling unwell and had to stop and rest. Later, we played bonding games. There were 2 groups-Alpha and Bravo and I was in Bravo. I managed to remember all the names that were in my group. We had to create a cheer too. Coincidentally, both groups were using the same cheer, but Alpha won. After the bonding games, we went to take a group picture and ended this activity. We had a lot of fun but we also felt very tired at the end of the day. I learnt that the main objective for this activity is to clear the litter along the coastline, to prevent animals that are living nearby being killed by plastic bottles, etc. Many Innocent animals had been killed by the litter that we throw into the sea. To prevent this from happening often, we were told to clear the litter and I’m glad that I could help. As the data that we recorded, will be analyzed. But, it may have a huge impact to the environment after what we had done. I felt that this activity is very meaningful and we had at least contributed something. This is the first time that I had experienced these things and I would like to participate more of these activities in the future.


Written By: LCP Hannah Cheuk Jia Yun

0 comments :

Powered by Blogger.